Monday, October 16, 2006

More Recipes

Here are the two more recipes you all requested.
Enjoy!

Salmon Spread
Rich and creamy, this spread is always a hit at parties.

Makes 2 1/8 cups

1 14.75-oz can red salmon, drained
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 3-oz package cream cheese cut into 3 or 4 pieces
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp instant minced onion
3/4 tsp dried dill weed
1 tsp prepared white horseradish
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
3 or 4 drops hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley

1. Remove skin and bones from salmon. Break into small pieces. Set aside in a medium bowl.
2. In a food processor container, combine the salmon, mayonnaise, cream cheese, lemon juice, onion, dill, horseradish, salt, and hot pepper sauce. Process until almost completely smooth. Stir in about half the pecans.
3. Turn out mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap. Mold into a rounded shape, and set on a small serving plate. Remove plastic wrap. Coat surface of spread with parsley and remaining nuts.
4. Chill two or three hours before serving. Serve with celery sticks, Belgian endive, and red and green pepper sticks.

Chili Con Queso Dip
One of my favorite crowd-pleasers. Serve on small plates or use celery and other cut vegetables to dip up portions of the meat and cheese mixture.

Makes 120 servings, 2 tsp each

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 16-oz jar mild salsa
2 tsp Splenda
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1 8-oz package grated sharp Cheddar cheese

1. In a small Dutch oven or large pot, combine the ground beef, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the beef is brown, breaking up any large pieces of onion, five or six minutes.
2. Add the salsa, Splenda, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Stir to mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently, to allow the flavors to blend. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted.
3. Serve warm in a chafing dish or on a hot plate. Leftovers keep 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator covered. Reheat in the microwave.

14 comments:

Jennifer Y. said...

The Chili Con Queso Dip sounds delicious.

Jennifer Y. said...

Oh, and I wanted to thank y'all for having this party. It is fun for us readers!

Rebecca York said...

I'm glad you're having a good time. It's fun for me to get to "know" some of you.

Also, you might want to stop by my own blog--listed on the right of the main page on out of the blogisphere. I'd love for you to take a look at dh with his cat. It really is a funny picture.

Jennifer Y. said...

I just checked out your blog...that is a very pretty cat! She looks really relaxed.

Wolfy said...

This party is fun, and I am enjoying the recipes so much. I love different ones when I do cook.

Cryna

Meljprincess said...

Thanks for the recipes, Rebecca!
I cant wait to make the Salmon Spread.

Rebecca York said...

I love writing recipes that taste great and are also easy to prepare.

If I'm having trouble with a novel I'm writing, I'm likely to go into the kitchen and start working. Often, I get a brainstorm for the story while I'm cooking.

Rebecca

Meljprincess said...

Rebecca,
Is that an Abyssinian your dh is holding? He/she's beautiful.
I'm owned by a male, chocolate point, applehead, Siamese. He's the love of my life.

Rebecca York said...

Yes, Meljprincess,she's an Abyssinian. Her name started out as Abby. But she became the Beevel. Kind of a combination of brown and evil. (It was a joke, but it stuck.) She zips out of the house at the drop of a hat and prances around the yard like a race horse. She's made herself dh's cat.
My other two cats, Ozzie and Harriet are rescued and part Maine Coon. I'll put a picture of them on the blog.
Rebecca

Unknown said...

Yummy! Those both sound so good! Thank you for posting them! :)

LadyVampire2u said...

These recipes sound great and I cannot wait to try them out.

Meljprincess said...

OMG! They are part Maine Coon? I have an author friend who has two Maine Coons and they're beautiful and HUGE. How big are yours?
Abby (Beevel) is simply lovely.
I was calling my cat Bevis before Bevis and Butthead became popular. lol!

Rebecca York said...

They are part Maine Coon but they are the size of normal cats. But Harry had really thick, long hair.
Rebecca

Carol M said...

The Salmon Spread looks really good! Thank you!

Out of the Blogosphere - Template Design | Elque 2007