Thursday, May 26, 2005

Vacations and the Creative Process

I thought I'd drop in and let everyone know I'm taking off to Rome, Italy for the week. I'll miss you all terribly and will blog if I stumble onto an internet cafe.

As a quick opinion poll, I wonder if all of you find that your creative juices go nuts when you're on vacation? I don't think I'm the only one this happens to, but I'm not sure so I thought I'd ask. When I'm editing, I find I stop day dreaming almost completely. The stories I day dream as I go to sleep (I can't go to sleep without jumping into a story for a little while) tend to be my old stand-bys, without a single fresh plot line for weeks and weeks. Then I go on a vacation and BAM! I'm scribbling on the back of restaurant receipts, jotting notes on hotel stationary, zoning off for hours to day dream while my husband reads by the pool (I'm sure he thinks I'm a freak, but he's way too nice to mention it).

If you do feel this way, what do you think causes it? The lack of stress, or the jolt from routine, or perhaps the new environment, or just stepping away from your current stories? All of the above?

Anyway - hope you guys have a great week and I'll catch up with all your good news when I get back!

8 comments:

Jaci Burton said...

I'm the complete opposite, Leigh. When I go on vacation, the muse must go somewhere else because every creative braincell shuts down. I think of nothing writing related, probably because I'm typically on writing overload. I think my muse needs the break from me as much as I need the break from her.

Enjoy Italy!

Jaci

CATHERINE SPANGLER said...

Amazing! I just posted some thoughts on creativity on my blog (http://catherinespangler.blogspot.com) yesterday. Great minds think alike :-) While I don't write during vacations (for one thing, I don't have a lap top), I do find that getting away from the hectic rush of my day-to-day life does give me time to "listen" to the story ideas in my head. I think ju0st taking some calm, relaxing, quiet time allows our muse to be heard. Great comments, Leigh and Jaci. Leigh, have a great trip ~ Catherine

Gena Showalter said...

Wait. We get to take vacations? :)

My best ideas come while I'm driving for some reason. (Yes, fear the road while I'm on it) I'm like Jaci and shut down during vacation.

I'm so jealous of your trip. Have a blast!

Anonymous said...

Have a great time :)

Michele said...

Have an awesome time!
Enjoy soaking up the culture
and atmosphere. Amore!

Kristen Painter said...

Traveling inspires me like nothing else.

One of the short stories I sold this year was inspired by a chocolate shop I went into in Canberra, Australia.

The second book in my fantasy romance series came entirely from the English translation of the name of a bar in Berlin, Germany.

The fourth book in that same series has elements of my trips to Kauai and Maui in it.

I love to travel and am fortunate to do it often. It's such a great way to expand your mind.

Rebecca York said...

It depends. Sometimes a place I'm visiting sparks a great idea for a story. Other times, I just veg out.
Also--I hardly ever go on vacation and just relax. I'm usually working on something. so I bring my alphasmart or my laptop and work for a couple hours a day.

Leigh Wyndfield said...

Well! I have returned!! Yippee! It was FABULOUS. Had this great idea for this super futuristic in the Catacombs. Thanks for responding all and I'll catch you again on up the blog chain. :)

Out of the Blogosphere - Template Design | Elque 2007